Aid for Restaurants, Bars, Gyms, and Bowling Centers
The Minnesota Department of Revenue will send COVID-19 Business Relief Payments to eligible businesses under a $216 million economic relief package signed into law December 16.
Eligible business owners do not need to take any action to receive this aid. We will determine eligibility and payment amounts based on the program requirements outlined on this page. You can also view this information in a visual format (PDF).
This program provides direct payments to businesses required to temporarily close or reduce services in November under Executive Order 20-99.
Businesses in the following categories — as reported by the Minnesota Unemployment Insurance program — may be eligible:
- Full- and limited-service restaurants
- Cafeterias and buffets
- Breweries with taprooms
- Family wineries with tasting rooms
- Distilleries with tasting rooms
- Bowling centers
- Gyms and fitness centers
We will send payments to eligible businesses that meet the rest of the program requirements:
- Located in Minnesota
- Had at least $10,000 in taxable sales in 2019
- Filed Sales Tax returns in 2019 and 2020
- Experienced a 30% drop in year-over-year taxable sales (April-September)
- Required to temporarily close or reduce services by Executive Order 20-99
Relief Payment Amounts
Eligible businesses will receive a payment based on their number of employees and participation in the state Unemployment Insurance system. The payments are considered taxable income and will be calculated as shown below.
EMPLOYEES (FULL- AND PART-TIME)
1 to 20
21 to 100
101 to 300
301 or more
Small businesses not in the Minnesota Unemployment Insurance system will receive $10,000.
- We will use current tax and unemployment records to determine what businesses are eligible and the amount of their aid payment.
- We will notify eligible businesses though their e-Services account by December 31, 2020.
- We will mail payments to eligible businesses in early-January 2021, to the the main address on their Sales Tax account. Electronic payments are not available for this program.
We'll update this page as needed with the latest information. For questions about this program or your payment, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 651-282-9999.
Our small business communities here in Minnesota have taken some heavy hits from COVID-19 and the last week of civil unrest has added heavily to the devastation here, especially but not limited to the Twin Cities metro area. All Minnesota District Office team members are residents of Minneapolis, St. Paul and the surrounding suburbs and we are committed to helping the state repair and recover.
We love Minnesota and the small businesses and non-profits that work hard everyday to create jobs and opportunities for a brighter tomorrow. We are actively looking for ways to support all by sharing information, providing SBA-backed loans to rebuild, and leveraging training tools to make tomorrow better than today. We will share that information with you through this newsletter as it becomes available.
We are here for you Minnesota and we will continue to do all we can, with any and all resources available to us, to help your small business start, grow, expand and recover. Reach out to us at email@example.com or (612) 370-2324 and follow us on Twitter at @SBA_Minnesota to learn about the support we offer and for more information.
Sincerely,SBA’s Minnesota District Office Team